View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2020, 08:10 (Ref:3971271)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
some general questions about cars and consumer behaviour. feel free to add your own questions.

-with a big reduction in gas prices, will the consumer trend to buy more EVs continue? will governments/lobby groups use cheap prices to de-fund alternative fuel/energy research? or do you think the opposite will happen?

Oil production is being cut - to keep prices up. Once "normality" returns fuel prices will go back to where they were before the crisis. EV still not really on my radar - the tech isn't there yet (but that's a whole different topic!)

-with car purchases declining and physical limit on how many cars a dealership/lot can even hold on to, is anyone looking to take advantage of a good deal?

I'm going to need to replace a car soon - I'll be buying used and hopefully (from my point of view) I'll be able to get a good deal as sales will have dropped through the floor.

-with the growing reliance on home delivery, do you think you will still need or want a car post virus?

Yes. Without question. Not having a car might be viable if you live in a big city and never leave it but otherwise it's essential.

-no doubt there will be production delays and supply shortages, so what will the availability of 2021 or 2022 models be like? will some manus opt to streamline costs and skip a model year?

No concern to me - I always buy used.

-is your dealership still open and/or how are you dealing with any maintenance issues? are you ignoring your car's health?

My local garage is shut. One of our cars needs a clutch/flywheel replaced so that one is going nowhere until the garage is open again. The others are all ok at the moment - services not due, brakes replaces a couple of months back so as long as nothing goes wrong with them we'll be ok for a while. I have got a trickle charger to keep the batteries topped up though.
Answers above /\