Old 28 Mar 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3722118)   #12
simonracer
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
simonracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
My recent enduro-related thought is how many of us go misty-eyed for the likes of the Lusty brothers, Doulman/Cotter, Lansvale, etc - but we're really quick to criticise anybody these days who scrapes up the money by whatever means to get onto the track but isn't as fast as the stars.

Surely the machinery is closer than it used to be, but is this just rose-coloured glasses? Was it just better in the old days? Certainly the front runners always complained about the part timers getting in their way.

I like the addition of Dunlop cars, like the Russels last year, but it isn't the same. Thoughts?
I think that in any sport, the people who are the least competitive/viewed as being the least deserving to be there are going to get crapped on. In fairness, I think the guys who got complained about were usually once-a-year no names in outdated equipment who had no chance of qualifying inside the top 40. I'm not sure about the Lusties but Doulman/Cotter and the Lansvale guys were generally a lot faster and more capable then them, and in some cases were up amongst the slower of the professional teams.