View Single Post
Old 8 Jan 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3791405)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Why couldn't a windscreen be installed on the halo to accomplish a couple things: 1) it would look more natural as if the halo is support for the windscreen. 2) it would solve the issue of small debris like what got massa.

Maybe the difficulty that was finding a strong enough screen that could be curved and maintain visibility could be solved by having two panels, one on each side of the halo. I think it would actually enhance the looks with the halo.
Discussed quite a bit in the Closed Cockpit thread...

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129305

My opinion is...

1. We don't have much public data as to what was or wasn't tried, so it is mostly speculation.
2. What tiny bit we have is that Vettel complained about a windscreen making him "dizzy". I think there was just that one short test (which wasn't even finished) before the idea was scrapped?

https://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/...riving-shield/

I don't want to move that topic to this thread, but to get one dig in...

Supposedly "top people" have looked into this. If only we had experience in designing windscreens for the front of things like cars, race cars, jet aircraft, etc. as well as knowing if the human body is able to see through these things without causing temporary or even permanent mental damage. Apparently it is a tough nut to crack. Maybe someday in the future, science will solve this hard problems. It is clearly too hard for F1, and if F1 can't do it, it can't be done.

Richard