View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2018, 10:03 (Ref:3814830)   #2
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForZiE23 View Post
Currently trainee but planning on upgrade. Track wise i feel confident enough and done the dates required plus some. Now the upgrade is a two part, track and flagging. I have done 3 days flagging but its this part of the assessment which i think i am currently nervous to upgrade. I enjoyed flagging but ultimately think for now at least incident is where i would like to stay. How confident or correct do you need to be to allow passing this part of the upgrade? i can show my understanding of flags ok, wave them OK but also have the should i / shouldnt i with the blue on some situations. Welcome feedback on it as all the IO's recently have suggested i should start looking to upgrade soon but would like to make some dates for this.
The guidelines for a Trainee to Track upgrade say -
======================================
The marshal needs to demonstrate that:
 they can work safely trackside,
 they are familiar with the basic marshalling requirements,
 they are aware of what is going on around them,
 they know where to seek advice and guidance and appreciate they are still learning.
Note that the level required to be demonstrated is the basic level that keeps them safe whilst being able to
act as part of the marshalling team with a minimal amount of supervision.

Practical use of flags. (All flags used on post – preferably in a live environment but as a demonstration if not.)
1. Display of flags (i.e. presentation of waved & stationary)
2. Display of hazard or SC boards
3. Give the appropriate signals (e.g. not blue flagging the leader)
======================================

Questions such as is that a blue, is it stationary or waved along with does that need a yellow, is it single or double are those which even the most experienced Flag Marshal asks themself each and every time they are on the bank - it is just that for them it becomes second nature due to their experience.

It is not expected that you will be an expert flaggie but that you know what each flag is for, how and when to use them and have a reasonable ability to follow a race (you should be able to do this for any marshal role anyway).

Dave