View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2017, 21:51 (Ref:3763908)   #5141
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Well then, if you're going to be fair, will anyone want to come in with Toyota spending the amount of money they spent to try and win LM in '99? I'm calling a spade a spade. When you look at DPI, it's pretty obvious that no one wants to spend even what TMG are spending, or even were.

And you also have to remember that TMG are able to do this for less because of going hog wild in F1. The ACO were responsible for this as much, if not more, than anyone by how they tried to goad factory teams up the hybrid ladder. Not to mention the knock on of new cars built to the new rules and crap like the fuel flow formula which never made sense to me.

We have to be fair here. Toyota did just as much on harping about the hybrid rules as Audi or Porsche did. Hybrids are about the only reason Toyota are even bothering about Le Mans or the WEC. Their whole promotional campaign for their LM program is all about hybrids. They also tried to push to get to the top of the rung of the hybrid ladder as much as Porsche did.

As several others have mentioned, factory teams will spend what they feel like spending if it gives them an edge. And as I mentioned, in Super GT, the rules for GT500 are what they are now because Toyota, Nissan and Honda didn't want to back out of a costly arms race. If the ACO were smart, they would've done the same here.

Now we're left with a program that still spends tons more than any privateer team would. Would you defend that just because they're a factory team up against privateer teams? Do you think that Toyota will spend any less than they are now? I guess they will--only if they do Spa, LM and Fuji next year.

You need to get your blinders off being a Toyota fan and claiming that they've been so disadvantaged because VAG outspent them. No different now to in F1 where Mercedes and Ferrari are at the head of the grid because they dedicated more money and resources to the current formula. And it'll be no different than if Toyota curb stomp everyone next year because their budget is 10-20 times bigger than any other LMP1 team.

If you're gonna argue that it's unfair that VAG spent nearly twice as much as TMG did on their program, how is it fair for them to be in the same position next season? It goes both ways. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

And why should I be making points and arguing my case when no one listens or cares, anyways?
It's like you don't read the posts you're replying to. I said Toyota don't want to spend the money they are. The reason they had to increase the budget was to respond to VW's teams. And no one said it was "unfair", you made that up. People have been saying it's unreasonable to be spending F1-level money. The rest of your post is not worth replying to because you're trying to incite a response. Don't care about the guilt trip either. Your points are noted, but don't make sense to me. No one forced them to spend hundreds of millions, that includes the hybrid rules. They did that on their own.