View Single Post
Old 16 May 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3904122)   #3540
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
But dismissing opinions because, as you did, when you thought someone who is old just repeats the old days were good etc. Is not expressing an opinion.
It is, but admittedly a rather lazy one. I'll definitely concede that and will try to avoid that in the future. But I've tried to enlarge on it in further posts which you react to with senseless oneliners and personal attacks and refuse to answer any questions about your very strong statements. Not a very good look, especially for a mod.

The frustration that led me to post that lazy oneliner is valid though, I feel. I dismiss Brundle's opinion because of the following reason: F1 is run by old dudes, in every layer of the organization. And that includes most of the journalists. That's just a fact, not a judgement about age in itself. But it's perhaps one of the reasons why so many of them can't seem to do anything but point out how many things were better in the 'good old days' but offering no actual solution on the current issues. And it's the same in the top layer. Ross Brawn is 64 years old and is tasked with bringing F1 into the future. Of course it's no surprise nobody can actually come up with something except stuff that has already been tried and rejected many times. F1 is completely insular and that has lead to a complete lack of critical thinking.

See the 2019 front wing rules which were brought forward for no other reason than people complaining about the boring race at Albert Park in 2018. Everybody with any sense already knew it was never going to make any difference, in fact it's made things worse. There's now another area where teams can't make the difference anymore (in practice this means the established top teams win out) and the gaps have increased while the racing is no different, maybe even worse. And all they can do is go further down this road with more spec parts and even more restrictive rules. And after all that is said and done and Brawn's tenure is over he'll get a nice golden handshake and nobody will hold him responsible. It's toxic.