View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2526847)   #5
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
It's a while off (and I'm yet to be convinced it's going to happen) yet, but this deserves a thread of its own. The ACO are going to launch the "WLMS", or Intercontinental Cup.

I'd like to know what would make/will make the calendar for 2011 (?)

I'd love a calendar like this:

Sebring 12 Hours (double points)
Zandvoort/Assen (2hrs)
Donnington 1000km
Nurburgring (2 hrs)
Spa 1000km
----Break for Le Mans----
Suzuka (2hrs)
Fuji (2hrs)
Estern Creek (2hrs - probably the least likely on this calendar!)
Road America (2hrs)
Mid-Ohio (2hrs)
Petit Le Mans, Season finale. (double points)

And is to be just for LMP1 cars?
[Rant=on]Similar to the DRM days when Nuremberg became the 500km race (held in two or 3 heats of course) instead a 1000km one. I said it before and say it now again - Le Mans style and GT races below 3h are a bad joke jerking the Gran Tourismo scheme to the bone.
[own opinion alert on] I did not like when FIA-GT introduced their sprint style racing and I don't like it ewhen it comes to le mans prototypes especially. So much for my own opinion. [own opinion alert off]
Your schedule makes no sense at all distance wise during the european rounds. As much as I may hurt dutch feelings now but Zandvoort and Assen are the not really suited for prototype racing. Well Assen maybe with its parking lot like runoffs but thats another topic. Donington is becoming a bad formula 1 joke. While it suited LMS races very well on the "old" layouts the new one provocates sprint style racing. So it would suit your idea but not the racing at all. 1000km there ? Come on. 2 hours would be really enough.
Sebring 12h are also there just because of its own tradition. Why not turning it into a 6 heat / 3 per day and 2h long each race over a saturday and sunday? So the odd spectator still can do other things and racing aint so important at all. Why has Spa a 1000km slot? just because a tradition you dumped with the 2h idea ?

I go with Andrew here mainly. And I too think that not each and all racing should run after what a tv station dictates. An intercontinental cup could be run even now. Some teams move between ALMS and LMS back and forth even now. the asian challenge is another topic on the desk there. Proposed for two years now but only ending in a two heat race at Okayama so far. If it takes place that is.

I am sorry. If LMS and GT classes there turn F1 sprint style I 'll be turned off completely. I just wait for races to be decided in pitlane then