View Single Post
Old 24 Aug 2009, 09:51 (Ref:2527171)   #14
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

here's part of an article telling us more.
Quote:
MP: The ACO has announced a goal to establish a something akin to a global championship, with an eye toward nominating rounds in a variety of host countries where points are earned for this championship. Can you tell me if and how the Series might be involved in the North American element of this, and if it would add to the Series calendar?

SA: Yes, the ACO announced it was considering the development of a series of selected "blue ribbon" events from the Le Mans Series in Europe, the American Le Mans Series and the Asian Le Mans Series. The working title of this exploratory initiative is the "Intercontinental Cup" (IC) and it could potentially include a classic collection of high-profile, world-class sports car endurance races, but it is not intended to be a world championship. The ACO is in the process of gathering feedback from manufacturers, teams, sponsors and organizers to gauge the level of interest and viability. So far I have heard only positive comments from all.

As far as the American Le Mans Series is concerned, we would eagerly embrace involvement, and I would assume our Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, Petit Le Mans powered by MAZDA6 and perhaps a third event or venue would be ideal for inclusion. As I understand it each respective Series would operate as usual; however there would be two or three selected events from within each Series but there are no incremental dates that would be designated as rounds of the IC.

Each Series would have its regular grid of competitors, but the selected IC events would attract incremental factory-backed and major independent professional team involvement from abroad - not unlike what Sebring and Petit Le Mans have done all along. The ACO's plan would formalize the structure and potentially build involvement in Le Mans-type racing on a global scale for the manufacturers and major teams that desire to compete worldwide. It's a very exciting prospect and we look forward to working with the ACO to bring the idea to fruition.
MP is Marshal Pruett and SA is Scott Atherton

A calendar for the Intercontinental Cup would be composed of major ALMS, LMS and Asian LMS rounds.