View Single Post
Old 9 Feb 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4034319)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
So the FIA announced a few months ago that the 2022 World Rally Cars will have a 100 kW plug-in hybrid powertrain by Compact Dynamics.

This is supposed to keep the current manufacturers and attract more in the next years.

But what's the point of a hybrid Yaris, i20 or Fiesta? The latter two aren't sold as hybrids.

Also they aren't the sexiest cars in the market either. Crossovers are becoming more popular. How about switching to them? I mean, this is rally after all.

Ford has the Puma, Toyota has the Yaris Cross, Hyundai has the Kona.

How about the Renault Captur, VW Nivus, Opel Mokka, Peugeot 2008, DS3 Crossback?

This isn't a new idea. Mini ran with the Countryman.
I agree, lets face it if rallying was being invented now - using cars to cross a mixture of terrain from tarmac to gravel to forest and dusty tracks, with the possibility of snow and ice on some rallies as well, and the crossing of fords etc- you would probably expect it to be a motorsport series aimed squarely at the Crossover/ SUV from Porsche Macan to Toyota RAV4s via BMW X1s etc.