Thread: Mallory Masters
View Single Post
Old 30 Oct 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2782535)   #54
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFdGKeQph-Q

If you need to get closer Grant, what about this guy just up the road from me in Crossgar.
Heh. Yes, I've seen that one before. I assume that he lifted the camera and started to shoot after the crash just to see of the thing was still working. A proper photographer would have recored the entire sequence ..... (though of course that would not have been too easy with a film camera back then.)

On the plus side you have to give him credit for choosing what turned out to be a safe place to stand yet still get right into the firing line.

The chap taking the video too - presumably standing behind another 'protective' wall. Good man (or stupid). Stood his ground as the debris flashed past his head.

Some recent rally shots I have seen suggest that people are going to extreme lengths to shoot something 'different'. I can understand why they would wish to do so but they maybe should re-consider the way they are doing it.

I don't really see this as an issue about how close one can get - more a question of whether the introduction of greater distances and, worse, fences can really be justified.

The day may come when even a very expensive long lens is not enough to capture more than mediocre images of a type that few want to see - at which point it may be that the spectacle enjoyed by non-photographically inclined spectators has also become so diminished that 'being there' is no longer important or desirable.