View Single Post
Old 25 Jun 2013, 05:12 (Ref:3269331)   #22
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Buxton is trying to be too much of a twitter smart-alec. The cars suit the track and they are what motorsports used to be, tough to handle there. They are like old touring cars with muscle. Bit like Aussie V8s. I defy any motorsport fan not to enjoy that race - the final phase at least.

NASCAR at Sonoma is always hair raising, unusual and funny with all the kerb hopping. Poor Kyle B got a good hiding there.

Well done to Truex, commiserations to Montoya. And Kurt Busch does do a dazzling job for those tiny teams despite being a complete and utter headcase.
I agree with your post. However, although NASCAR racing on road circuits are absolutely entertaining (harkening back to Watkins Glen 2012), I can't help but notice how ignorant NASCAR race control is on how to properly make the right decisions during road course races.

Tony Stewarts Spin at Watkins Glen 2012 OFF THE RACING LINE
http://youtu.be/RhEKe2TSpbo

Case and point, Paul Menard's spin at Sonoma last year.
http://youtu.be/f7SfOaMRZAo?t=1m9s

Montoya and a third driver were involved as well and continued on unharmed, yet NASCAR felt it was necessary to throw out a full course yellow even though Paul managed to get back under way mere seconds after the FCY was called. This kind of management annoys me to no end. And from what I am hearing, the same situations happened this past race at Sonoma as well.

NASCAR race control simply does not understand the necessary calls to make on road courses in particular. Instead, they seek to please the short attention spans of the rednecks in the stands by bunching up the field any chance they get to make the racing more artificially "exciting".

My point being, Will Buxton does in fact speak some truth when NASCAR racing on road courses just does not sit well with certain people, including me to a degree. Throwing out full course cautions for harmless spins, or spins that are off the racing line well out of danger goes against the code that is true road course racing. NASCAR just doesn't seem to grasp that concept or the concept of the local yellow.