View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3468845)   #47
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkybm View Post
I have just spoken with John Clark, and he says that there were only ever two RHD 635's, and that they were definately built in the UK by CC Motorsport.

We know that RA2/046 was delivered in 1984 to "Grace Racing GB" as a RHD car. We believe that it was crashed early in the 84 season, possibly in testing or at Donington. Ted Grace, before he passed away, said that it was stripped, repaired & sat in his workshop as a bare shell. It was then rebuilt to Production Car Specs for Barrie Williams, who raced it in 1985. It was then sold to John Morton in New Zealand.

We also know that BMW GB / CC Motorsport had two BTCC cars, RA2/037 & RA2/039, which were given CC Motorsport chassis numbers CC29 (driven by James Weaver) and CC30 (Vince Woodman).

CC30 was crashed at Donington and reshelled and became 'CC31'.
In 1985 both cars (and spare car RA001) were sold to Frank Sytner, who had sold his 1984 cars, both LHD, presumably RA2/017 and RA2/022, to New Zealand.
CC29 (RHD) was sold on to Mike Newman and raced in BTCC events in 1985-7.
CC31 (RHD) raced by Sytner 1985 BTCC, sold to Charlie O'Brien/Erle McRae Motorsport and raced at Sandown & Bathurst.

Therefore it is possible that chassis 046, was in fact the car that was crashed, presumably donating its running gear to a new shell, and ended up in Ted Grace's workshop. Frank Sytner is reported to have said "it would never be the same & didn't want to use it".I imagine that at the time, parts were bought and sold quite freely between teams.

The car that John Clark raced with David Sutherland at the 84 TT was LHD and therefore was either 017 or 022. So this all gives some credence to what KA thought - that 046 had come from another team. It also fits with what Gerry Hodges knows. John also said that Ted Grace never owned any cars - he just prepared them on behalf of others. So it is possible that 046 never actually raced in a Group A event, unless it was raced very early in 84!

I'm going to keep going with this one; I've yet to hear from Frank Sytner and I want to speak to a couple of other drivers.... Stay Tuned !!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Bill Cutler
I was doing a bit of research on a recently surfaced car which gave me cause to have a quick read through this thread. Regarding the discussion about the Grace / CC Racing / Sytner cars & chassis 046 this might help.

Chassis RA2#39 (CC030..) was crashed by Woodman 25-3-84 at Donington.
He missed the next two races but then appeared again at Thruxton driving an RA1 car with alloy uniball cage. As any new car in `84 would be an RA2 we have to assume this was a previously used car. RA2-59 was not repaired as by chance I visited a BMW Recycling place in Sussex and the bodyshell was there piled up with old street cars waiting for the crusher. Woodmans `new` car seems to have the roll cage changed later in `84 too.
The Grace / Gartlan cars were RA1 # 17 and RA2 # 46. The latter being delivered as a complete car with RHD. So it must have been intended for the BTCC even if not used. It was delivered on January 31st 1985.

One question. I have seen pictures of a yellow Eggenberger 635 I think in NZ. They look recent. Anyone know about it ?
Alex