View Single Post
Old 8 Apr 2022, 22:18 (Ref:4105889)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I applaud the track changes on the one hand because it hasn't resulted in barriers moved 500m away and tarmac runoff at every corner, however I am puzzled as to what they were trying to achieve with the flat out section at the back, because you are unlikely to get any passing into that fast chicane.
DRS zone in the lead in to those fast corners - might have some impact - but then that wasn't a passing opportunity with the previous layout either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The track changes have certainly not done any harm, it's still a tough circuit that's not for the faint hearted. Certainly there's a nice flow to it. I feel they needed to make it faster and give the drivers and fans something to get excited about
Certainly faster and it may lend itself to a better spectacle - probably felt it was time for some changes to freshen the old park up a bit.

Honestly don't know how the changes will go but the race will be the thing that really tells us and before then we're all engaging in conjecture - does appear to really require commitment and getting it 100% right to crack a strong lap & to me that's no bad thing.

One thing of note is that the Supercars had really high levels of tyre degradation - really high - with the new track surface. If that flows onto the F1 cars then the whole approach to the race could have a fair few variables.