View Single Post
Old 9 Dec 2002, 01:44 (Ref:445998)   #16
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US Ratings for NASCAR seem to average about 4-5. US ratings for IRL and CART on network is about .7-1 and on Speedvision/ESPN .3-.5

CART gets a 4-5mil audience per race in Brazil, about US-level ratings in Europe and Canada/Mexico and I think 2-3mil in the Asia-Pacific reason. Its actually fairly strong internationally, but pales in comaprison to F1, and unfortunately there arent a lot of companies where a lot of North AMerican races but poor North America TV and strong International TV help them.

F1 is about 280-300mil per race I beleive on the recent figures. There was 6 billion 'viewers' over the course of the 17 races, at least in 2001. Thats 17x350mil each. This season with 16 races and some reduced TV, lets say 4.5bil viewers. Thats not all individuals though. If I watch all 16 races I count for 16 total season viewers. But the 300mil per race is individual viewers.

So really you can say more people watch 1 F1 race than the entire NASCAR season. Ive got some figures in a PDF file, for instance about 9mil watch each race in Germany, 7mil watch in Italy, etc. So a country 1/5 the size of the US has two times as much in % watching F1 than America has NASCAR.

However F1 doesnt have the saturation of culture in its countries that NASCAR has in the US. I think thats becuase of the majority of F1 fans are very casual fans who just watch it because they enjoy motorracing, whereas a good portion of NASCAR fans are very loyal and very into their racing.