Thread: Track Design
View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2294418)   #5
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Sorry Matt, but you opened the door for this. So, Road America, Sebring, Miller, Spa, Le Mans Paul Ricard, Nurburgring, Monza, and Suzuka are too long? And I suppose Portland, Lime Rock, and the old Laguna Seca aren't good circuits either because they're too short?

I think there should still be some car circuits where slipstreaming plays a significant role, and for that, you want a straight of at least 1200m. And really, 1500+m is the range you want to assure that's what you get (serious slipstreaming I mean).

I'm far more concerned with having a circuit that has individuality rather than trying to MAKE it a mix of everything. And like I've said, my tracks that I "design" don't come out nearly as well as those that I just let happen. I also must admit that, of the designs I've liked and put particular detail into, four of them are under 4 miles by my estimates.

I've worked varying levels of more significant detail (things beyond outright length and course outline) on about 12 of my designs (that's out of hundreds of track outlines I've drawn up). There is a fifth in that group of 12 or so that is under 4 miles, but I find it too "designed" compared to the others. The longest track in the batch I've estimated at 9 miles. Given that it folds on itself a few times though, it doesn't take up as much area as you'd think. I suppose I think of it as an ideal endurance sportscar circuit.