View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:46 (Ref:4006191)   #17
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
HAHAHAHAHA pull the other one!

2 things, he went to mclaren as a number 2 driver, was given team orders to remain behing alonso in the first part of the season (rightfully), the team only gave equal treatment around canada.
Nick Fry was interviewed on Australian radio last year. He was saying that they were interested to have Hamilton join the team. That contributed to Dennis picking Hamilton for the 07 season when he perhaps was reluctant to.

I have no doubt that because Hamilton was an unknown quantity, there may've been some reliance/leaning towards Alonso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
the team clearly favoured hamilton? Proof please....because of course it makes perfect sense to pay millions of dollars to bring in a multiple world champion and then throw your resources behind a completely unproven rookie!!!! LOL!!!!
It does seem silly on the surface, but there's more to it. When it was announced Alonso was going to Mclaren (Dec 05), Hamilton wasn't even in the picture. I presume the intention for Mclaren was to win with him. But that changed when Hamilton showed he was of more substance than a typical drive in his first year. Mclaren might've paid Alonso millions, but it meant nothing when there was greater commercial value in Hamilton.

I'm someone who thinks Alonso is better overall (That topic does get blurred). But considering how good Hamilton was straightaway and was an Mclaren/MB product. For however good Alonso is, he wasn't worth Mclaren hiring him (Or Schumacher or anyone else).

Quote:
The fact a complete rookie could get close enough to Alonso to rattle him speaks volumes about hamiltons ability.
Absolutely.

He's a "rookie". But from my observations, first year drivers from the 2000s seem different than before.

Quote:
beat him on a technicality? no.....beat him
I'm going to say ""yes".

Same wins and points total, but Hamilton gets awarded 2nd due to more 2nd places. Not just that, but even from Canada where you said that's when they were getting equal treatment, it was 71pts each for the rest of the season (38pts after Monaco).

10-7 h2h for Alonso in races. 10-7 or 9-6 for Hamilton in qualifying. But Alonso "lost" the "meeting expectations championship". It's like watching a football final where the team that has the better of play, but still has to end up winning on penalties.

I think it was to Hamilton's advantage that it was at Mclaren, and that it was Alonso having to adjust to a new team. Had Alonso stayed at Renault and Hamilton joined him there, then I personally think Alonso would've clearly beaten him. But on a scale of Alonso - Fisichella, Hamilton would've been closer to Alonso than Fisichella.