View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2020, 10:10 (Ref:4007943)   #24
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
But it's not forced? If you want to develop your own engine you can, if you can't or don't want to then fine - use the off the shelf item. I don't see why that's such a bad thing? It makes sense - the championship is then not relying on manfacturers being involved. How committed are Renault and Mercedes? If they bail out in the next few years then where are the engines coming from? It'll be everyone with a Ferrari unit (assuming they could build enough). An independent engine supply just makes sense.
Completely agree - FOM should commision it and then they can sell the badging rights - so it becomes say the Aramaco engine and then sell the engines to the teams and make sure they remain competitive. This would also reduce the development of the works engines if they know they wil be kept at some sort of parity with FOM's engine.

I know I keep saying this, but FOM just owns a pile of paperwork - no circuits, no teams in other words nothing that guarantees them to turn that paperwork into money.

Look at what Carey has said in the past, he was very open that they believe d there was a massive sponsor resource out there, it just needed some more 'know how' and people to make the calls - having invested in the people and the know how they found that they queue for F1 sponsors wasn't as long or willing as they imagined, and that was pre-Covid!

Ditto the circuits with coutries and promoters queuing up to outbid each other to have F1 there - apart from Saudia - where will this come from?

Liberty investors proably thought that all of the above after suffcient investment would deliver a much bigger return that BE/CVC achieved. I doubt they will get anywhere even close to it - can you imagine the FOM P/L accounts from this season!