View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2019, 06:22 (Ref:3925334)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
No, you haven’t misunderstood! We were told by our authority that all EU countries (except Spain, Malta, Cyprus & Liechtenstein) had signed up to the ‘1968 Vienna convention on road transport’ and that trailers over 750kg would have to be registered, then display that registration plate. All this from the end of March. But, unless the plates I saw on the back of trailers from virtually every E Europe country, Germany, Netherlands etc., this morning were different to the tow vehicle number, none had them......

Very strange!
This would appear to not be an EU Treaty requirement and thus is not an EU law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
This may possibly be one of those cases in the EU that although all countries may have signed up for a particular piece of legislation, it is up to the individual member states when that legislation is incorporated into it's own statutes.

As far as the UK is concerned, because we are supposed to be leaving the EU, it has meant that all the EU legislation that had been passed by Brussels but that had not yet been incorporated had to be included on the UK's statute book before the 29th March 2019. The theory is that the UK Parliament will then go through all that legislation at some time in the future to decide whether they wish to repeal such legislation..

It may be that other EU member states have yet to incorporate this particular bit of legislation in to their own laws.

Hope that I haven't confused the reader too much! And I think that this may not be the only anomaly that will appear in the years to come!
As above this is probably not EU law. That said EU States (not Countries) are permitted to derogate from EU laws if it affects, health, safety or security. There are also implementation periods. Thus if I'm correct in this case there was no reason for the UK to derogate, or attempt so to do, since it's not an EU regulation.