View Single Post
Old 14 Feb 2011, 23:49 (Ref:2831312)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Spa gearing would be.

Conrod from the exit of Forrest's Elbow to the braking point of the Chase is .95mi. The run from La Source to Les Combes is 1.21 miles.
Lowndes said he 'only' wants to do a sub 2 minute lap, which should be a doddle in an F1, and I am sure there will be no specific flat out laps, in the same way as the laps Nick Heidfeld did at the Nordschleife, which has equally long straights.

Re La Source to Les Combes. Well it may be longer than Conrod, but Conrod is downhill all the way,whereas the majority of the Spa section you mention, from the exit of La Source through Radillon to Les Combes is up hill all the way, and in parts quite steep. Think speeds are higher at Spa going from Stavelot to the Bus Stop. At Monza, the cars with their low downforce setup hit 350kph pretty much (it used to be higher in the days of pre rev limits with the V10s.) Gearing is less of a problem than the aero that might be needed at Bathurst over say Monza speeds.

But, as has been said , it is planned as a promotion, not a world record speed attempt.

With Lowndes at the wheel driving an F1 for the first time ever, I am sure that they will be running a fair amount of downforce and top speed on Conrod will not be a priority.

Edit: Seen that most of what I said has been covered by Stooge and Tourer between my reading Matts comments and me writing my post.