Old 26 Jul 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3754455)   #123
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Would a 911 with the V8 from the Cayenne (or the same lump as Audi) be eligible for the DTM?
OT: I would have loved to see the Panamera and 2-3 teams like Manthey or some of the other german Porsche Teams compete in DTM in around 2008-2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I can. See, if DTM does indeed collapse - what options are on the table? They can't really continue in the carbonfibre-touring-car-prototype mold, because what's the point of rehashing that after you've just buried that very concept. They also can't drop down to TCR, because it lacks the spectacle that German audiences seem to want. So we need to come up with something new to Germany - and DPi has a LOT of momentum behind it right now. The same is true for Formula E. The Indycar-thing, I'll give you that - that really was pretty much wishful thinking on my part.
Or they could simplify the carbonfibre-touring-car-prototype enough that the public may very well accept it again. It's not like no one cares about those cars, they still do have some sort of audience.

But DPi/LMP2? For once they are cheaper than DTM or at least more affordable for private teams. Then we don't have a sprint series for prototypes in Europe so far. But would such a series find the same kind of audience DTM nowadays gets? And what teams could compete in such a series? I could see Phoenix or Rosberg making such a jump, but HWA definitely won't do that - unless the Mercedes-DPi rumours gain traction once again - and the BMW teams won't go there as well. But I admit, a P2/DPi sprint series isn't the worst alternative post-DTM.

First of all the ITR has to ask themselves, what they want to achieve with the DTM? Where do they want to go? Because the philosophy of providing advertising space for manufacturers hasn't worked out in the long-term. So the DTM has to reinvent themselves, in order to have a chance at survival. Such a thing can only work, if they start encouraging private entries into the DTM once again. There are rumours about the implementation of a 2 litre turbo spec engine and such a thing might work in a series primarily catering to privateers - the BTCC uses a similar approach after all. But the cars overall would have to become much cheaper as well.

But even then, where would, where could the DTM stand on the motorsport ladder? In my opinion, it could position itself above the GT3s and TCRs. It could be a series where the best of both categories - along with some single-seater drivers - could compete with each other. If the cars become more similar to GTs and TCs, then such a thing might happen.