View Single Post
Old 2 Nov 2002, 12:32 (Ref:420129)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't like the reduction in power. Something that can unstick those rear wheels, that keeps the driver's right foot busy.

Aerodynamics: I would like see a reduction in downforce. However I would like the emphasis on allowing cars to follow each other.

I would get rid of pit to car links, but keep the pit to driver link.

Different power plants: Wow that would be good, but I don't like the fuel formula. That's what they had in the mid '80s. Stupid conservative driving. Remeber GP at Imola in that period. A joke.

Energy recovering systems: Very interesting. Tried by Panoz in sportscars and muted by, I think, McClaren (until it was banned!). It is not crucial to F1 at all, IMO. Could be too heavy and storing energy can be very inefficient. It might be relevant to road cars, but I'm not sure it's relevant to racing.

This situation already exists. The computer is very sophisticated in an F1 car as it is. The pits to car stuff allows this to be taken to another degree. But I like the idea that adjustments to rev limit etc. are made by the driver (but again this already happens - the Williams' boost button).

Transmission: I liked the idea of CVT that Williams were developing a few years ago. However, this was from a purely technical viewpoint. I feel we should have manual gearboxes (with H pattern!). More chance for a mistake by a driver.

And while we are talking about. Get rid of other aids such as traction and launch control. Again more chance of those small mistakes (perhaps while under pressure, or ones that give the guy behind a sniff of an overtaking chance).

I sort of agree with you about cutting-edge. But then a 900bhp 3-litre engine is pretty cutting edge.

How to control a car with 900bhp and a lot less grip? It will be the job of the designers and engineers to think of solutions to this and produce a fundamentally good car (not one that is fudged with computer input). It will also be the responsibility of the driver to drive it. It is this last point that is the most crucial to F1.

Oh and go back to Spa and circuits like it.