Thread: WEC 2017 WEC Season
View Single Post
Old 6 Sep 2016, 17:22 (Ref:3670567)   #98
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Every car on the grid is funded by an Am. Factories don't want to race in the ELMS GTE class. The Am's are how they get entries.

Personally, I'd be fine racing in a non-Am enforced GTE class, but most people footing the bills don't feel the same way.

-mike
That's because you are trying to do it the old school way when AM's just sucked it up and ran with pro's. Thus, many AM's just had to get better because the bar was so far up there. As of now, it's just lowered for AM's because the talent pool is lower. In the end, the incentive to get better just doesn't happen like it used to.

It's like my son who is in advanced placement math. He busts his hump to get B's. If they would place him on the lower version, he would ace everything. Then he'd have no incentive to get better but we could celebrate with endless FB and Twitter posts.

As for a sanctioning body, if you need to have an AM class to get more entries to pay the bills, then so be it. If I wanted to run in the WEC, it would be in GTE-AM just because the class exists and I meet the criteria. I'd still do GTE it if they didn't have an AM class but since I have the option, might as well go the one that I fit into. That's why PWC will be great next year with all of the sub classes they will have along with separating out Sprint with Sprint X. I think with all of the classes, there will be around 12 PWC champions for 2017.