View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2020, 11:38 (Ref:4022863)   #6
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Great idea for a thread!

I'd start with Bahrain, because we just accidentally had a proof of concept. The outer circuit turned this from a purely stamped out Tilkedrome, to a unique event. I'd keep the outer circuit. And I'd resist the urge to resurface it, as bumps add variety, which is what we need.

I'm now for Bahrain staying on the calendar, if Bahrain GP is replaced by Bahrain Outer.
Agree on allowing tracks to be bumpy.

I think many early Tilke tracks try to improve overtaking by creating hard braking zones with sharp corners. His later tracks like COTA have wider more swooping sections. The width of these swooping sections allows pursuing drivers to take alternative lines and stay out of the dirty air more effectively.

With the arrival of the 2022 cars, this slightly offset pursuing of the man in front will become even more effective and therefore I think we need more wider swooping sections rather than sharp stop-and-go ones. This will not only allow the man behind to follow behind more effectively, but also provides much more challenging and flowy circuits to drive and therefore more exciting to watch.

For Bahrain I proposed the following earlier:

With 2022 cars being to follow each other more closely and the field hopefully converging over time, wouldn't it be nice to reinstate the endurance lay-out, yet in a modified fashion?

It was used in 2010 but not really loved, it didn't provide very good racing and also had a lot of start-stop sections without flow. With cars being able to follow each other more closely from 2022 and some minor changes to the track that would give it more flow, I think a fast flowy inner section would be a nice counter balance to the four straights and it's slow corners at the end.

Here is the lay-out:

This is the modified section:

This is a on board from the track from about 1:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMsNrkS0eDE

With the current endurance layout you brake for the chicane, than you get a sharp right hander, than pull up and brake again for another sharpish right hander, pass the kink and then again brake for the slow left.

It's just too much pulling up and than braking again. There is no flow and there already plenty of slow corners at the end of the straights.

With this modification the chicane becomes faster, you have to trail brake from the second half of the chicane in to the right hander which is also a bit faster. Then the next right hander and the following knick are much faster and more exiting to drive and avoids the whole start-stop effect of the whole section.

To me more flowy sections through the sand reminds me more of old-school Zandvoort than Tilke desert tracks and with the 2022 cars this could work out quite well.

Last edited by Taxi645; 14 Dec 2020 at 11:52.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.