View Single Post
Old 27 May 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3254118)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree, it is odd that the bigger games companies are the ones stamping their feet. But then, perhaps it isn't that odd really...

But if it protects the smaller games companies then maybe it is worth it. It is they, after all, who tend to bring originality to the table.

The profit sharing thing is tricky because, as you say, why should developers get money back on something they have already profited from? But the games shops need to be fairer. Quite simply, they need to give new games a chance to shine.

But the problem is, in order to compete with companies like Amazon, they need a lower price point and that is why used games are pushed so hard. My local branch of Game, I estimate, dedicates 80% of its shelving to used games. That can't be right and it does hurt game companies who aren't producing annual FIFA games. But it is the only way for Game to survive, because that is where all their profit is. So what do you do?

Maybe it would be better if high street game shops went to the wall. People seem happier to buy new online, rather than second hand. But that would be a shame, if only game shops and game publishers could work together to benefit the customer.