View Single Post
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3912705)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Speaking purely from my own point of view as a hobby photographer and spectator, one thing I have always found irritating at the Silverstone Classic is the overlap between the grids.

I'd far rather see something different than have separate races for (for example) both pre-66 and pre-63 GT cars. Similar story for the multiple pre-66 Touring Car grids in some years. Single large grids make for a better viewing spectacle and free up timetable space for more variety, though I recognise that those actually competing are likely to feel differently.
I get your point, but taking the first example, Masters can get more than 58 cars from their regular competitors, and no doubt Pre ‘63 will get a healthy entry as well, so neither organiser will want to lose out on potential income..... If, as could be the case with MRL, there are less healthy entry numbers (I’m surmising here), then it makes total sense for them to reduce overheads by combining their two races. Silverstone Classic, like DHF, is one overall organisation selling track time to individual race organisers, and all want to show a profit!