View Single Post
Old 6 May 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3902174)   #36
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The RallyX arena looked temporary, even if it was very big. The grandstand is huge but all on concrete blocks, not a permanent construction. I wonder if the plan is to take it down after this weekend and replace it with stands in time for the F1? I can't imagine there will be no viewing there for the GP.

Thankfully there was a small food court area further back towards the big stand which allowed some viewing up Eau Rouge. As a photo spot it wasn't ideal because it was a long view, but better than nothing.

The other effect of the construction is that walking up the hill on the outside of Raidillon required a walk under the track to the paddocks, then along and back under the track to the bottom of the steep path. This at least takes you via the old pit building with its viewing up the inside of Eau Rouge.

If I was WEC I'd take this as a bit of a slap in the face. The viewing of WEC spectators was clearly very much secondary to serving the needs of WRX. It seems painfully obvious which event the circuit thinks is the priority.

I also thought there were many fewer spectators this year than last, not surprisingly given the weather. The stands were a lot busier though as people sheltered and the circuit seemed to have made a big effort with eating/drinking/viewing in the paddock area. So maybe there were just as many people, just not spread around. This suited me fine - I've never had such easy access to the photo cutouts!