Thread: Customer Cars?
View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2021, 08:01 (Ref:4029800)   #45
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
We seem so often to dismiss the past as providing a possible solution to any problems we think F1 has. I possibly have a different take on the key issues -my gripes are , in order , grotesque cost , manufacturer influence ,thin grids , excessive aero and the places where races take place.

But there are many examples of customer cars being raced in Grands Prix , or F1 non championship races. Sometimes very successfully (Stewart's March ) but usually mid grid or lower (too many to list but who remembers Giancarlo Martini in his 312T ?) . They served a useful purpose in filling grids , and as a stepping stone to a two car works team - remember Frank Williams was running all sorts of stuff before he hit the big time- De Tomaso , March , Iso Marlboro .

F2 cars have run concurrently in Grands Prix , memorably so in the 67 German GP where Ickx qualified his (1600 cc!) F2 Brabham third quickest - but the F2 field - 10 cars in all- wasn't eligible for points.

I'd love to see grids increase to 28, even 30 cars , as it only takes one startline shunt to deplete a 20 car grid to a pathetic apology for a GP. Single car entries ? Fine- why do we demand the homogenity of two car teams anyway ?

I dare say lots of arguments against customer cars will be made - loudly - by the established teams, as a knee jerk reaction and any 'reasons' given will be created long after the objection itself . Much of F1's malaise is down to the absurd influence teams have - they expect to be involved in any decisions about every facet of F1 but , having done so , can simply walk away from the sport .