View Single Post
Old 20 Jan 2020, 18:23 (Ref:3952476)   #44
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Some of us have grasped this part.What needs to be made clearer,and I don't know how to make it any clearer,is that a 2 stroke does not have to have it's lubrication burned as the mixture of fuel and oil makes it's way through the engine.You can have a lubrication system entirely separate to a fuel system and use the same oil throughout the race.
I agree. If anyone is curious how they handle lubrication see the article below:

http://achatespower.com/wp-content/u...19-01-0068.pdf

Basically this is not a classic old-school two stroke that pulls the air/fuel/oil mixture into and through the crankcase. It uses direct fuel injection with I believe no added oil in the fuel. The crankcase is sealed like a regular four stroke. Oil control rings are not in the classic location just below the compression rings, but instead are further down on the piston. This is to prevent/reduce the amount of oil that makes its way into the two stroke ports. Oil is scraped off the walls before the port. The oil control rings don't overlap the ports. They also use special hone patterns in the cylinder walls (I assume to increase oil retention in the areas above the oil control ring). According to the article, they are getting similar oil consumption levels as classic four stroke designs, but with better efficiency.

The technology looks interesting and probably has a home somewhere, but so far I am not convinced it should be used in F1.

Richard