Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 28 Aug 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3924521)   #3637
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i got some time on my hands but not enough time to learn more about aerodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
In fact the rear wing is necessary to help kick the wake from the underbody up higher in the air than would otherwise be possible. The size of the underbody tunnels are obviously constrained to what will fit around the suspension/gearbox/engine, and the need to not exceed a diffuser angle where stall occurs --- you can't just fit an increasingly enormous venturi tunnel under the car, it has limitations. So you can help that venturi tunnel out, by using the rear wing and beam wing to help "suck" air out from underneath the car; and this will help kick the wake from the floor as high up in the air as possible, and thus out of the way of the following car.
follow up questions to that.

looking at the cars from 2014-2016 era...2016 RB below.

just going by memory but thinking about those narrow but high wings (almost at level or higher than the air intake/airbox)....was this idea of kicking the wake up higher tried before or is this new approach significantly different?

also (and this my not make any sense), whenever i see a diagram of air flow they show those arrows being disturbed by the car and then at some further distance behind, the arrows settle back into their original position/level/direction and go back to normal.

so if the wake gets kicked up higher wont that disturbed air still settle back to it's normal level all be it having traveled a further distance (higher up and then down) and that path will take a bit longer so the disturbed air settles back to normal but now just further behind the lead car?

i guess my point is (and i literally have no idea what im talking about here), does this new solution just push the turbulent air problem a couple car lengths further back behind the lead car?

rather, the following car still has to pass through it but now they will have to pass through it earlier (ie while they are further back) which may possibly make it even harder to get close enough to enjoy the less disturbed air 'bubble' directly behind the lead car?

sorry if that makes no sense...i hate the black arts!

Last edited by chillibowl; 28 Aug 2019 at 16:43.