View Single Post
Old 30 Jul 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2735903)   #251
ae86James
Rookie

United Kingdom
Halesowen, UK
ae86James should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First of all, Apologies for bringing a thread back where the last reply was in May! But there are some interesting points of view from lots of people on here. So I felt like I wanted to add to it all!

I partially agree with the above from NaBUru38. Drifting can never been seen as "racing" as it obviously isn't. But I think it should definitely be known as a motorsport. It's a very competitive sport involving cars! There are some fantastic championships running in the UK at the moment run by some great people who really want to help Drifting develop over here.

I've always been a fan of motorsports and during my short 22 year life I have struggled to find a motorsport that I felt I could "get into". I first got into Drifting a relatively short time ago in about 2007 when I realised it wasn't anything like the fast & the furious Tokyo drift film at all and it was actually quite cool! Watching a mate of mine taking it to the big power Nissan’s in a Toyota from the 80's was the coolest thing I’d seen since watching videos of Bob Burnquist skateboarding when I was 12! I found out that it wasn't hard to get involved and get out there enjoying the cars & sport. So here I am now a few years on enjoying my 86 with all my mates! :]

I have major respect for all the drivers of BDC, JDM all-stars, EDC etc. As they all drive seriously hard for no real reward other than enjoying their cars & to help push drifting to new levels. The past year or so the quality of the cars has also improved vastly and some are now professional builds with some serious work going into them, Such as Phil Morrison’s Driftworks S15.

I'm a avid fan of Drifting here in the UK and will be for a long time to come. Well organised practice days for the guys who just want to have fun & very well organised events catering for different driver abilities. It's a form of motorsport that can't be ruled out because it isn't a "race".