View Single Post
Old 7 Feb 2019, 16:57 (Ref:3882448)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Thanks!

Yes I have enjoyed a wide range of ages at historic meetings and few are limited to just pre-66

However, 'pre-1966' does seem to be a very common delineation - I was prompted to post the question by a glance at the Donington Historic timetable, which is almost entirely early/mid-60s.

Peter Auto, Masters Historic and HSCC all have pre-66 categories. I just wondered what it was about 1966 which made it such a common crux point, albeit not, as you say, the only one.
You’re right, it is a popular ‘dateline’ for sports/GT and saloons. Apologies for not responding at more length earlier but I was a bit pre-occupied. My own take is that there is a jump in technology after period F (end of 1965) which made the earlier cars simpler and therefore more attractive. Tyre technology is also a consideration, with treaded crossply tyres changing to slicks changing to radials....

As you say, some race meetings major on Pre ‘66 categories, one of the advantages being that there’s an awful lot of cars out there. But we see many organisers now running series for later stuff, even later than the FIA cut-off date of 1990, and in my opinion the historic ‘scene’ is becoming far more varied.

Two events that have their own cut off dates- Goodwood Revival is Pre ‘67, to match the circuit’s closure at the end of 1966, and Le Mans Classic has 6 plateau’s that stop at 1981.