View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2019, 22:23 (Ref:3922502)   #4460
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
In Robin's silly season update, he seems to think Hinch is leaving McLaren for sure and suggest a 3rd car at Rahal would be a good fit.

https://racer.com/2019/08/12/miller-...tent=home-hero
He raises a lot of good points in there, Robin's info and some thoughts with a bit of my own added thinking about what he and MP have mused about.

Hinch just feels like a Honda guy and think they want him back in the fold, and importantly may pay for that privilege as they were at SPM. Whether they are willing to pay for him to get out of the deal AND get him a ride with a Honda team is the question. But it would have to be RLL since there isn't really a Honda opening now.

Colton Herta holds the key to everything in Indy for a decade or more. He's got a HSR contract and apparently an Andretti contact beyond that but I don't think you'll see him leave. That's really his racing family and they can't afford to see him go. If Hinch doesn't leave McLaren and there's that cash from both the contract buyout AND Hinch's services deal I think we'd see an extension. But only if Harding or Steinbrenner can find some money, some where when they bragged they could run 2 cars to start the season and couldn't manage that at all I have my doubts.

Santino Ferrucci is interesting, done well without a top car and consistent finishes. His attitude from his European antics seems to have drastically changed, or he knows it won't be accepted any longer. Hopefully it's a permanent change but he seems quick and could be in the best position to grab the scraps after the lead seats are taken, and apparently he has some backing.

Kanaan needs something better than Foyt and may need to get a going away tour underway. He doesn't seem like he is really in to this season and the cars aren't really helping him or Leist shine. Think we could see 2 new Foyt drivers in 2020, would be sad since TK deserves that final tour. Even sadder is what Foyt racing is now, it's not a destination for drivers at all but rather a consolation prize.

Now the interesting future drivers and RM doesn't really address the common thread much, but I think teams behind Penske, Ganassi and Andretti are salivating at the possibilities. And think Ganassi and Andretti are interested.

Oliver Askew is leading Lights with the cash that comes with that win, but it didn't last long with O'Ward this season. He has tested for Ganassi and Chip knows talent, and he can swing a deal if Askew brings some money, so is RM possibly right and third car?

Pato O'Ward is interesting as well, can anyone get Red Bull to loan him back to Indy to stay sharp? I think more likely we'd see him with an F2 program and Red Bull money over there but who knows. Red Bull has ZERO interest in Indy any more so there's that too.

Rinus Veekay has been showing well in the few Lights races I've seen and importantly he has, pardon the pin, huge backing with Jumbo. How well Indy plays in Holland to make that situation work I have no idea, if the TV deal is there and Dutch fans follow maybe great and as RM points out ECR would love to have him and possibly help out with Ed running the ovals as he loves to do.

Nicholas Latifi is mentioned and is interesting with his family ties to McLaren. Dad is an investor in McLaren but does he have a future with Williams or in F1 with another team? If he does then no chance we'd see him considering Indy at all.

And then there's Robin's buddy Fred and the will he won't he decision. Personally think it's slightly over 50/50 but I think we would see him sit out Texas