View Single Post
Old 1 Mar 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3069177)   #3
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Tradition?...puhlease.
If the organisers want to build a crowd up year in and year out a regular date is certainly an advantage.

I know i would have already booked the time off work and a camping site for next year already if i knew what date it was on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Build the bloody thing around commercial reality, which O'Brien is trying to do. There are only a handful of local GT guys with the coin and desire to do it, so push for more internationals. The opportunity to have a crack at overseas drivers may just drive the apathy out of the locals. So have the event when you can maximize European and Asian attendance.
How can the race be built on what is described above? They tried that this year and it didn't work. It showed potential, but the bottom line was not enough cars were there.

Wasn't the date moved this year to attract teams that had run in Dubai and Abu Dhabi? All that could be mustered was 25 starters

There needs to be a core base of competitors for the event to survive. The race is not aligned with an International GT Championship, so therefore the emphasis needs to be on getting Australians to form the bulk of the entry, with the internationals being the iceing on the cake.