Old 16 May 2021, 09:05 (Ref:4051865)   #6
52Paddy
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
52Paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
How about a rule that manufacturer teams must fund a third car for all customer teams?
Given the current situation, this is an interesting idea that could certainly work and bring a larger, exciting grid. However, as a previous poster mentioned, I'd rather just see more teams on the grid. Forgive my ignorance but what is the main factor behind the grid being stuck at 10 teams for years now? (Even in the 2010-2012ish period when three new teams entered F1 [HRT, Marussia, Catherham] they were outclassed and often considered 'B Teams'). Is it entirely down to running costs for a year and something that could be sorted out with a restructuring of the sport's financial entry criteria? I'm not really interested in levelling out the playing field for the sake of taking performance merit away from other teams but you'd wonder if the days of the thoroughbred privateer are long gone and the manufacturer-run/billionaire businessman-run teams are all we can expect for the foreseeable.

Excuse me if this is a little off-topic and a hijack. A simple contribution to this would satisfy my curiosity ;-)