View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2003, 13:05 (Ref:736653)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many digitals do not react to the button being pressed as quickly as a 35mm camera do. For the sports shooter this can be critical as you can easily miss part of the action. The closer you get to a Digital SLR the less this lag time exists between when the shooter presses the button and when the CCD gets exposed.

There are some things you can do to assist your pro-sumer level digital to speed up the process. Most digitals have some nice features. Pretty quick autofocus, image stabilization, white balance auto correction, automatic fstop correction, etc. All of these things take a little time to do as the camera analyzes what you are doing and tries to make the best of the scene you are trying to capture. Turn off your autofocus and pre-focus. Set you white balance and lock it in. Make some test shots to find the correct exposure and lock it in. I do most of my shooting in manual mode so I can reduce the shutter lag by at least 1/2. Its still about 1/3rd of second slower than my Canon Rebel, but I have learned to work around it.
Never forget #99