View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3791623)   #161
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Interesting. As I am fast approaching 65 I find myself pottering along these days and sticking to speed limits. I do find its the van drivers that tend to tailgate me more than any of the others.
It's rare to find any roads along which one can do other than potter along these days.

Well, except for the A50 coming off J24 of the M1 towards Derby where in recent times the DC 70 limit has often been unattainable due to 2 rows of vehicles pootliig along at 40 to 50 most times of the day. Once in a while a clear run can make for an interesting long left hander.

With construction work around locality the entire section, for probably very good reasons though not quite yet I suspect, has had a 40 limit slapped on it. The safest slow speed at which I feel comfortable is now 50 as all sorts of vehicles flash past at considerably higher speeds.

I'm not too uncomfortable with their speeds on the stretch of road but for 2 factors.

Firstly, any incidents will result in snarled up traffic for miles around.

Secondly the volume of traffic using both the main road and a rather blind T-Junction joining the road on a bend have both increased in recent times. The potential for something nasty happening is quite high IMO.

It's not helped by the probability that many of the people using that may well have spent anything up to several hours attempting to negotiate the the hell that is M1 J23/24/25. The temptation to "stretch ones legs" a little is far too great after that chaos.