View Single Post
Old 5 Dec 2022, 10:35 (Ref:4136144)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
My view:

1. Verstappen. Some great early season wheel to wheel battles with LeClerc. Then after a those close races the RBR / Verstappen combo was undoubtedly the class of the field. He is a special talent.

2. Russell. Just constantly fast. Even when the car was porpoising and looked absolutely horrible to drive he matched and often beat Hamilton, and constantly put the car in the upper reaches of the points. Deserved his race win.

3. LeClerc. Going into this season, in my own mind I was not totally sure which of the Ferrari drivers was their #1. After a few rounds that was no longer a question. Very quick in qualifying. Team mistakes and miscommunication cost lots of points. Occasional mistakes and he needs to play his part in helping solve those communication problems.

4. Hamilton. When they started to sort the horrible car out, it was clear that Hamilton is still a class driver. Well matched by his teammate this year, but if Mercedes 2023 car is good, then Hamilton could be WDC again.

5. Alonso. There is life in the old dog yet. Outscored by his teammate, but was often the victim of mechanical problems. When there was an opportunity to be had, Alonso was there.

6. Norris. Had a good season. Destroyed his teammate. Its hard to see how much more he could have done in the car he was given. I would like to see him in a more competitive car.

7. Sainz. Ferraris #2. After early season disappointment, drove plenty of good races from mid-season onwards. Deserved his race win.

8. Perez. Had days when he shone. I don't know the numbers, but seemed to have closed the gap to Max compared with last year. Helpful number 2, who deserves a little more respect from his teammate.

9. Ocon. He has days when he seems to underperform or go missing, but overall had a solid season and often beat his teammate.

10. Bottas. It's a game of 2 halves. Drove beautifully in the first half of the season, scoring loads of points. I think perhaps the team were out-developed by others, because the second part of the season was poor for Bottas and the whole team.

11. Vettel. The car was sometimes nowhere and other times allowed the drivers to compete for solid points. Vettel had some decent races and will be missed.

12. Magnussen. A surprise return to the grid, and got into the points often enough. That pole position showed that he maximised the opportunity given to him, which was nice to see. Still over-aggressive when wheel-to-wheel.

13. Albon. Like Russell before him, he dragged the Williams car to the latter parts of qualy at times. Scored a few points and put in some decent performances. Hard to stand out too much in the Williams.

14. Stroll. Yes, he is a pay driver. But he did well enough when paired with a former WDC to show that he is pretty decent.

15. Gasly. Disappointing. I have been saying for a while that he needs to leave the RBR family. Early season promise gave way to lacklustre disappointment. Must do better next season in a new start at a new team.

16. Tsunoda. Upped his game and significantly closed the gap to his teammate. I don't think that he will ever drive for the main RBR team though.

17. Zhou. I thought he was OK. Didn't score many points, but was quick at times and not outclassed by his teammate. It will be interesting to see how he does in his second year.

18. Schumacher. His teammate turned up after a year out and beat him convincingly. There is talent there of course, but too many accidents and not enough high points to keep his seat. Maybe will be back at some point.

19. Ricciardo. On the whole, very disappointing. At least he got a few solid points finished towards the end of the season to sign off with.

20. Latifi. Seems like a nice guy, but will not be missed. 2 points in Japan, so that was good.