View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3810225)   #187
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Do you think AER / Champ car and the like are ever going to be in a position to challenge IMSA or PWC when it comes to eyeballs and marketing dollars? Or are we strictly talking drivers having fun, exposure be damned? I suppose the only real selling point of the IMSA/PWC experience over the fledgling series is that you are in "the big show." I know a handful of people doing AER and it's stupid cheap, relatively speaking, when it comes to racing.
You do realize that IMSA and PWC have 95% of the seats paid for by rental drivers. That 95% are only concerned that they get a pic of their car with the company name on it and that satisfies the IRS for advertising expenditures. Part of that 95% are rich parents that have a certain budget because their budding Michael Schumacher will get signed on by a factory team. When that doesn't happen, then they are on their own.

Right now PWC is at COTA. Go on their site and look at the lap record holders for that track in PWC are today. You'll find that they are probably back in Europe or driver coaching. Driver coaching actually means, "convincing a rich guy to pay for me to go pro racing again".

The marketing and eyeballs is just a thing to make the renters feel good about what they spend. That is all. If it wasn't then these other "club" series' would have about 10 cars per event. Looks like they don't and if you notice, AER has gone from Chumpcar +1 to a bunch of racers that gave up on IMSA and PWC over the last 10 years.