Thread: LM24 2018 GTE thread
View Single Post
Old 23 Mar 2018, 19:09 (Ref:3810214)   #19
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
My memory is bad because I haven't paid that much attention in recent years to this side of the paddock but I think the only races this decade where it wasn't mainly decided on favorable/unfavorable BoP and/or close wheel to wheel action BoP provides were 2010 (everybody except Porsche dying) and 2012 (Ferrari direct injection ie better engineering than others)

Anyway even if/when BMW gets good tickets from the committee, you have to remember that the taxi cab M3 got somewhat the same treatment as well - certainly in 2011 at least - yet managed to screw it up, so I'm not sure they'll be able to win it

After all, it took Aston Martin so many years to win the class [in PRO] regardless of BoP. Back in the days of DBR9, ie competition without BoP (except for 2006 ALMS), it took them 'only' 3 years to be able to win GT1 at Le Mans. So in a way, winning in BoP competition can be just as difficult as winning in engineering competition, or even harder (unless you are given absurdly favorable political values), because there's not much room to move your muscles. And screwing up multiplies when everyone is artificially that close, not potentially laps away
Actually your memory is bad indeed (no offense)

as far I can remember...

le mans 2013, 458 gte had a really bad bop and basically has never been able to fight for the win (despite 2012 domination). On the otherside AMR vantage received all kind of bop helps (larger fuel tank, weight down, restrictors larger and aero/rear wing waiver). The 3 cars were the fastest gte and didn't win because of accidents and unluck - bad pit stop strategy for the last pit stop.

Le mans 2016.... it was so clear that ACO was going to help the newbie ford that bop was simply hilarious....

BTW le mans 2010 porsche 997 gt3 rsr performances weren't great at all.... risi 430 and corvettes were on the edge, but reliability wasn't by ther side.