View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2012, 03:15 (Ref:3119608)   #265
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
But Reynard was a dedicated chassis builder. Mazda is a niche automaker who could fail with the tiniest of errors, or any move away from their base. None of their cars has big horsepower from the lot, and you'll never see one like that. That's why club racing and lower formulae suit them. Only way they'll see anything above Star Mazda is in the back of a Delta Wing, and that ain't happening ever.

Really? It's a socio-economic and blatantly racist slap in the face. Couple that with the fact that he used a woman as a toilet and I'm left wondering why we still have not heard about TrueCar going elsewhere. Actually I'm not. That program was farcical at best from inception.
I think what people often forget is that car manufacturers are in business to sell road cars. I guess a lot of people think that racing comes first and there should be a lot of money thrown at it.

If you get inside car manufacturers, any motorsports program is high visibility in the company and there are always departments who want that money that gets allocated to motorsports and get it sent to them for their needs. You will always find people who support it and some that do not and sometimes the do not crowd wins. Or sometimes the dealers support it over the manufacturers, so the manufacturer continues support.

Ultimately it all comes down to the cost in comparison to the benefit and when the benefit isn't there for the cost, the program gets cancelled, changed, reevaluated, etc.

In regards to the Penske brothers, I have seen much drunken behavior in my life, even beyond this, but these guys are not 20 year old goofballs with no responsibilities. When you hold a public position or are involved with something that interacts with the public or represents an organization/business, you have to have a modicum of professionalism at all times, unless you want negative consequences. Penske has fired people for much, much, much less.