View Single Post
Old 11 Jan 2018, 04:59 (Ref:3791899)   #77
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
The Corvette is still using a Gen IV small block while all the street cars are Gen V. I don't think Porsche has ever stopped using the 997 GT2 engine either.
The Gen IV and V blocks are almost identical. Most of the difference is down to what displacements are offered, but both are derived from the same starting point. The difference between the engine in the GTE Corvette and the road engines is about the same as it was when the engine was first downsized to 5.5L to meet GTE regs.

Quote:
It's not just a Corvette race car, it's a CALLAWAY Corvette designed with the same stylist that worked on the Sledgehammer, C7, and C12. That's why it has things like the C7 style bent rear wing that isn't used on any other GT car.
http://www.deutschmandesign.com/en/car/Callaway_GT3-R
It's still all about aero. Any device that didn't improve performance would not be left on a racecar unless the regulations required it.

Quote:
No, the Viper and 488 legitimately use almost entirely the same bodywork except for some bolt on devices and venting differences.
Those are only two examples. As I said before, these things are not universal.

Quote:
Not anymore. That's why Porsche had to move the engine.
No, still. GT3 still allows more in the front splitter and rear wing than GTE does, as well as more aero alterations to the general bodywork. Again, one piece(the rear diffuser in this case) does not automatically change the overall whole.

In point of fact, the diffusers allowed on GTE cars now are why I stuck to the splitter and wing when noting specific parts.

Quote:
One of the Risi engineers did think the GT3 would potentially be a bit quicker than the GTE, because for that specific car it probably does have a bit better downforce with the front fender louvers and vents. For Porsche, whose GT3 car is much cheaper, much more basic aerodynamically, presumably requires much less restriction to reach the performance targets and is engineered more for gentleman drivers, not a chance.
Again, one of the reasons I said these things are not universal among all manufacturers.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 11 Jan 2018 at 05:04.