View Single Post
Old 5 Oct 2021, 14:55 (Ref:4077052)   #34
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
Thinking back , you are right , it was Tyrell.
I think it was played down at the time to try to deny that they were running very high compression engines which needed higher octanes than were allowed under pump fuel rules .

But lead pellets were used in WW2 for fighters that were shipped to Russia .Merlin engines needed high octane fuel , which the Russians had very little .
So lead pellets , [ possibly plus some other metals ] were used in the fuel lines / tanks which raised the octane rating high enough for the engines to work .
This reminds me of a device called (if memory serves me correctly) something like POWER+. It was a small cartridge containing lead pellets & other 'precious metals' that was supposed to be connected to your fuel line so when the fuel passed through it, the octane level increased. They claimed at the time that it used technology that was used during WW2...