Thread: Audi R10
View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1555314)   #571
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
The R10 designer said they would have been down to the 900kg minimum, but obviously 925kg helps them in the short term. Incidently the designer was not in favout of A/C.

The wieght saving at Pescarolo will not go to waste. It's always better to be under weight and ballast up, to optimise weight distribution.
Yes, I read the R10 designer article on DailySportsCar and saw the bit about 900kg. I guess we'll have to take his "optimistic" word for it, but let me ask you this...

If the ACO regulations give Diesels a similiar amount of BHP as Petrol, the same refueling times as Petrol, and a generous weight limit which gives parity with a Petrol car. Then on what other basis is a Petrol car supposed to beat a Diesel car given that a Diesel will in addition always have better Torque and better Fuel economy?

Surely, given the fact that Diesel cars have 2 unbeatable strengths (Torque/Econ) over a Petrol car, why are the only 3 advantages a petrol car might have over a Diesel also been taken away?

The only thing a petrol car has left to compete on is reliability and driver skill, both of which a Diesel team has in it's own power to improve also.