View Single Post
Old 24 Jul 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3110890)   #71
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I bet no-one but maybe 100 people in Finland know what Indy 500 is. Multiply that number by 1,000 for Le Mans (if I'm being optimistic). x50,000 for Monaco GP

Obviously these numbers vary from country to country but it's arguably not even the biggest / most watched motorsport event in US
It isn't the highest rated in the US by a large number, the Daytona 500 blows it away and many other random NASCAR Sprint Cup races get higher ratings than it. I think it's claim is the attendance and it's historic value. Okay, a lot of that has to do with the state of the series that races in it, but it just isn't that big of a deal anymore even stateside.

To be honest, except for the United States and Canada (with the exception of Quebec), I can go into any airport in nearly any country and tell them about F1, and they'll know that I'm talking about. Same thing for the Monaco Grand Prix, and a lot of places it's the same thing for MotoGP. MotoGP seems to be a household name in Spain, everywhere you go you see adverts, posters ect.