View Single Post
Old 26 Nov 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2796015)   #16
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
brendonwood1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the excellent report. I tried to buy the issue of Auto Action featuring this race and several other issues featuring NZ races from 1986 off Ebay recently, but was outbid on all of them! Amazing how much some of the issues went for - one featuring a track test of Peter Brocks Commodore VK went for $26.

I'll add the results of Rd's 2 and 3 now that I have had a chance to check the two magazine reports I have.

Rd 2: Baypark. Duration 3 hours.
POLEGraeme Crosby/Wayne WilkinsonHolden Commodore VK 
1stAllan Grice/Kent BaigentNissan Skyline Turbo169 laps
2ndTrevor CroweBMW 635CSI167 laps
3rdBruce Anderson/Wayne AndersonFord Mustang GT165 laps
4thEd LamontBMW 325i164 laps
5thGraham Lorimer/Tony LawrenceBMW 635CSI161 laps
6thCharlie O'Brien/Glenn McIntyreBMW 635CSI161 laps
7thDave BarrowToyota Corolla GT160 laps

I have a brief report on this race in Autosport, Dec 11, 1986.
This was a race of attrition, with the pole-sitting Crosby/Wilkinson Commodore blowing an engine, the Francevic Sierra retiring with turbo troubles, the Hulme BMW suffering a blown gearbox and the Andersson Volvo suffering an "internal disorder".
The Skyline was in only its fourth race start, and set the pace throughout to win by four laps. The Nissan NZ team had started to find the some reliability and pace from the car dispite a trouble debut at Bathurst a few weeks earlier.
It sounds like this was not the most exciting of races, with Crowe also having a largely untroubled run to finish second. Crowe did have to stop to replace a badly worn tyre five minutes from the finish, but second was safe.
The Andersons had their second good run in the space of a month at Baypark to finish third in the Pinepac Mustang.
The ex-Johnson Mustang of Ker and Huxford suffered brake problems and joined the retirement list however.
Class winners were Ed Lamont (1601-2500cc class) and Dave Barrow (0-1600cc).