View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3862927)   #4026
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Yes. It was only coined (officially) shortly after the IRL absorbed the CCWS (whatever year that was). Don't test me, remember....

Now you've got me curious exactly when that was...a new mission I accept....

edit: Voila...."The sanctioning body was formed in 1994 under the name Indy Racing League, and began competition in 1996. The trademark name INDYCAR was officially adopted on January 1, 2011."

I understand your questioning and yes, it's a technicality. Nonetheless whatever form of Indy cars we're talking about it hasn't been "over 30 years" (IndyCar the most recent and has been outside the U.S. since it's inception)
Unification with Champ Car was in 2008. Back in 1992, IMS registered the IndyCar trademark with the United States Patent Office and licensed it to CART, which renamed its championship the IndyCar World Series.

With creation of the IRL, the IndyCar trade mark was subject to a legal battle. CART filed a lawsuit in March 1996, against IMS in order to protect their license to the trademark. In April, IMS filed a countersuit against CART, to prevent them from further use of the trademark. They both reached a settlement, with CART agreeing to give up the IndyCar trademark, after the 1996 season but the IRL could not use it until after the end of the 2002 season. The name IndyCar Series officially adopted beginning in 2003. The sanctioning body is Indy Racing League, LLC , using the trading name IndyCar.