View Single Post
Old 28 Apr 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3817840)   #192
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
I suspect that this is the case only at one circuit in particular.

At most circuits/meetings you may find a Flag Marshal being asked to act as a post chief but they will usually then not be actually flagging with that role being undertaken by others.

Dave
I can think of one circuit where Post Chief/Flag Marshal/Incident Officer/Incident Team and Kettle-putter-onner are sometimes combined into a single person at numerous posts. At least that's been my experience over the years, but I won't be having that this year as no meetings there fall on weekends I'm available.

Going back to the holy-moly-batman-thread-resurrection questions:

Speaking of the clubs and circuits I've volunteered for/at over the last 3 or 4 years:

Yes, we're "allowed to marshal". Some clerks are less keen on complex interventions, but we're still getting out trackside under yellows and dealing with things.

Yes, there are still on-post briefings. I've been on the receiving end of some usually excellent ones, and some unfortunate people have had them from me.

There is still an undercurrent that "flagging is hard (and boring)", perpetuated by persons unknown. I've had people on taster days come on post in the afternoon having spent time with someone in the morning who's put the fear into them before they've even tried; however I'm proud to say that I've got them all to give it a go and a number of people have gone on to sign up for future events and prefer to flag
Don't get me wrong; marshalling at a decent standard in any discipline is "hard": it's a huge commitment, and for some people the idea of being in a fixed position for the weekend where you might not see another marshal for several hours is an awful or terrifying one. For others, the idea of being in a gravel trap with drivers "lifting" by 0.1s in that sector is just as terrifying.
Different strokes for different folks. That's why we're not all fighting each other to do the pit lane buzzer at sign on!