View Single Post
Old 10 Sep 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2757262)   #2
ErleMin
Rookie

ErleMin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't in Vee till 1974 but am roughly aware of what went on before. I remember one Dolling, Ian Ferret's pictured in Autosport in a MAWP article about the 750 Motor Club (called “Down at the Club” if I remember).
Not sure that I can dig out results, just personal memories but didn't Vee support the German GP in 1967 with Gunther Huber winning in a Beach? Certainly Monaco with UK representative Nick Brittan not lasting long in a Fuchs.
I'll be brief with potted UK history. Rivals for Vee were strong, not only ‘cos there were (& still are) a tradition of special builders here before Vee started but also expertise was orientated towards the BMC & Ford engines. Most particularly Formula Ford was launched 2 weeks afterwards, promoted by John Webb with the advantage of him owning a number of UK circuits. So Vee was rather second best. VW(GB & Europe) promoted it early on with zonal winners qualifying for a grand final but with the coming of the water-cooled (Golf & Scirocco) cars, VW preferred to leave the Beetle (& Vee) behind. In 1979 Vee turned to the club racing scene and under 750MC it has flourished ever since (less fan, carbs free but with air restrictor, standard gear ratios & control tyre).
I don't know when, but in Germany it transmogrified into a slicks & wings Polo engined formula. They've not so much of a single seater heritage so it survives quite well today despite UK drivers regularly winning their championship in German-spec cars. They have an air-cooled class and UK drivers used to race against them in UK-spec cars as well.
There is a very strong European Vee heritage scene managed by the Historische Formel Vau Europa club - I recommend their website. Also the Dutch HMR club have a class for historic Vees with some Swedes joining in.