View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2023, 21:03 (Ref:4139216)   #1
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Favourite motorsport moments (Autosport top ten)

Autosport released the results of a vote they did where fans had to choose their favourite moments from the history of motorsport. I know there was a list the voters had to choose from, but don't know what else was on the list. Here is the top ten:

10. Juan Manuel Fangio's victory on the Nurburgring in 1957 with eight lap records while chasing the Ferraris (ten-tenths' GROAT).
9. Jackie Stewart's championship victory in Monza 1969 by winning in the run to the line.
8. Tim Harvey's BTCC championship in 1992 after Cleland and Soper clashed, 'the man's an animal'.
7. Toyota's heart-breaking retirement on the penultimate lap of the 2016 Le Mans.
6. Nigel Mansell's victory in Silverstone 1987 after the Stowe dummy on Nelson Piquet.
5. Stirling Moss's victory in the Mille Miglia in 1955 with Denis Jenkinson.
4. Lewis Hamilton winning the 2008 championship on the final corner in Interlagos.
3. Jackie Stewart's dominant win on the Nurburgring in 1968 in the torrential rain, during his safety campaign.
2. Le Mans 1966, Ford beating Ferrari and then the clumsily-staged dead heat.
1. Colin McRae winning the World Rally Championship in 1995 on the RAC Rally in Wales.

This is in the F1 section because most of the entries are from Formula 1.

Personally, I really like the top ten list. A good range of history and all great moments, and I was surprised at the choice for number one. I'm not sure what I would put there, but maybe Fangio's win in the Nurburgring. The one thing I was a little surprised about not making the list was the legendary Villeneuve-Arnoux battle at Dijon in 1979, and also Senna's first lap at Donington in 1993. Jenson Button's win in Montreal 2011 is another one I would have included, as the 1965 British Grand Prix as Graham Hill with fading brakes chased down Jim Clark who was turning his engine off to go around corners due to oil-surge damage. Maybe Niki Lauda returning in Monza 1976 after his near-fatal accident could also be there.

What would other people add to the list of 'favourite motorsport moments from history', and what would be your number one?