Thread: IMSA IMSA : 2019
View Single Post
Old 15 Jun 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3829700)   #245
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Do you think as soon as 2019, that IMSA could split DPI and LMP2 into different classes. But also at the same time invite non Hybrid LMP1 to complete in the DPI class. With some BoP of course. Which I think is quite doable. The speed gap between the Oreca R13 and BR1 Dallara vs the DPI cars on Michelin tires with much less BoP restrictions probably is not much. I think the P1s would need to be "BoP'd" down just a tad.
I don't see what this achieves. I keep seeing suggestions of unlinking DPi and LMP2 in IMSA, but why?

But let's say for sake of discussion they do it. DPi is currently slowed down to LMP2 speed. So right now it's realistic to say that over a long lap (Spa), they'd be around 6 seconds off of the non-hybrid cars. So the gap needs to come down by 6 seconds. So you'd release the BoP on the DPis cars and you'd throttle back the LMP1 non-hybrids. So now you've got them equal.

Except do you? The Caddy will cope with it. The Acura will probably cope with it. The Nissan is all over the place with speed. The Mazda wouldn't manage a qualifying lap before blowing up most of the paddock. So what has really been achieved there? Making it more expensive and harder to run in DPi?

There aren't many LMP1 non-hybrids right now, so would any of them really choose to run in IMSA? They can all do that right now with an LMP2, which is cheaper. So why would they run the LMP1 over there?

The end result is DPi being BoP'd to LMP cars again, but faster and more expensive. I don't really see the gain, and I don't see many LMP1 cars coming over to make it worthwhile.

IMSA is fine as it is. Don't break it, especially if it's just to get an LMP1 car back in the series.